Saturday, April 26, 2008

WEEK 8

When a book? When the Net?

Wow!!! Good question! Book vs Net!
I know myself, I personally use the computer a lot for research mainly because I don't have to leave the house and its a lot faster than reading a really long text book. I agree with the article thou. When it comes to old history, you can't find much to write a paper on and honestly how do you know which site is a reliable site when you do find something on the web. For current news, Yes!, the web is the place to get it, because its fresh. There are people who are still trying to make money at publishing books and their view on the historic event. Yes!! We do have to wait for the author to write it, then publish it, and then go through production. Once in the book store, I myself wait til it goes on sale or the library get a copy. Researching with books is not to bad for me, because that's how I did my papers when I was in school. The Web wasn't around. Today's children need to be taught how to use book for research, for them its always the computer. Its there, easy to use and its fast. Students needs to realize that books offer so much more than what on the web. Even as teachers in this digital world reach to much for the web before turning to a book for help. We as teachers need to be reminded the books also offer so much more.

Using Technology to Enhance Literacy Instruction

My district really needs to step in this ditigal world that our students are growing up in. As teachers, we are getting some of the training, but we need so much more. As a Technology master learner, I feel it will be my job to help educate my fellow peers on Web 2.0, importance of safe surfing the web, how to use movie maker, how helpful are podcasts etc. My district does not understand the importance of more computers in the classroom. Yes!!! We have a lab, but when it come to lower grades its easier to put a couple on at a time. That way they get a more one on one understand on how to correctly use the programs, save and retrieve their own files. At the present time, in my 2nd grade class room I use my computers for reading fluency by putting my kids on Starfall during center time. I am also teaching them in the lab on how to create an invitation on Publisher to our grade level play. So in my 2nd grade class room, I use the computers for writing and reading fluency.

No comments: